STOP THE TRAFFIK

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Learning all the time

I'm currently writing an essay on young people and drugs and came across this,
The Responsible Drug User’s Oath:

I swear or affirm that:
• I understand the effects of all recreational drugs I take, to the best of my ability. I shall research the neurochemical, psychological, physiological, spirituality effects, the legal issues surrounding the drug and its use.
• When taking a drug I am inexperienced with, I shall begin with the lowest dose suggested to be psychoactive by the aforementioned research before progressing to higher dosages. I will measure the drug carefully, with an accurate scale.
• If it is possible that the drug may contain harmful adulterants or in fact be a different drug altogether, I shall have the drug chemically analyzed for purity and content.
• I will learn the overdose limits for my own body weight and adjust them for any possible synergistic effects due to diet, prescription or other drugs. I will also adjust for dangerous side effects and my own health condition. After calculating my personal limit, I will stay under 75% of this limit, to minimize risk.
• While under the effects of a drug, I shall not take physical risks such as driving, climbing, swimming, or any other physical activity in which my actions may cause harm to myself or others.
• When first using a drug I am inexperienced with, I shall take it in the company of an experienced user, also known as a spotter. The spotter will remain sober during this experience, and will also have fully researched the drug.
• I shall not attempt to sway, force, trick, or otherwise coerce another person to take any drug in a dishonest way; rather, I shall discuss previous drug experiences and research frankly and truthfully, allowing all people to make their own personal decisions about drug use.
• I shall defend the rights of others to make educated, responsible decisions about drug use. I shall not support any person or movement that attempts to remove or abridge said rights.
• I shall not allow my drug use to overshadow or disrupt the other important aspects of my life, including social interaction, employment or even other personal pursuits.
• I will also take responsibility for the drug use of friends and relatives, if their drug use becomes dangerous to their health or personal relationships.
I swear this with the hope of creating a society in which safe, responsible drug use is a personal decision, not a criminal offense.
Addenda January 2006, 2 new points:
• I understand the effects of habituation, and therefore I shall exercise caution and significantly reduce the quantity of any familiar drug I use when taking the drug in a new and different environment for the first time.
As a drug consumer, I will embrace responsible drug production and distribution methods, such as growing or farming your own, and shun suppliers who use violence when not necessary for their self-defense.

What do you think of that? I thought it was very interesting and will be using it in my essay.

I have also been learning about my family and about the life of my grandmother. She is 93 years old and is very seriously ill at the moment. I've been to visit her twice now and it's good to see her at home in her last few days but sad to see her body wasting away and know that she's in pain. From talking to my aunt, I've found out that her mother was married twice: her first husband died and then she married my grandmother's father. He left her mother and took her 2 year old brother before she was born. Apparantly he went to Australia with all the money from the family business and set up a new life (and family) for himself there. Their's was not an easy life.

I also learnt that her first name is actually Phyllis and not Pearl as we all had assumed.

God is teaching me lots of deeper things here too. About life and death, assumptions, strength, family.

Thank you God.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 02, 2007 5:14 pm, Blogger Phil said...

An interesting set of rules, but I don't know one person who could keep to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home