STOP THE TRAFFIK

Saturday, May 09, 2009

The Time Traveller's Wife

I have just finished The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.
I really enjoyed it and wondered if any of you have read it? The story is about Henry who has a genetic predisposition to travelling in time, jumping forwards and backwards to visit significant events, places and people from his life. He travels with nothing including clothes and so there are funny and dangerous situations arising. He also disappears completely leaving a pile of clothes in the present time.
I felt that the characters were likeable, believable and the story was compelling. For all of the author's intelligence however, I felt the plot was a bit lightweight and if you were not so engaged in the characters you may never have finished the book because there was compulsion to. I also felt that two lesser characters Clarisse and Gomez were well formed but then poorly used. The whole "best friend's husband madly in love with you throughout his life" is a little lame. Having read some other reviews on Amazon I also agree with one that had issues with the use of language especially Colloquial Sexual language. It did seem incongruent.
But taken as an interesting take on a love story, it's one I thoroughly recommend.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At June 04, 2009 11:22 am, Blogger Sarah said...

I read it on the plane to Germany, and really enjoyed it. We use it in germany with our y13 classes in a module on 'time', we also watched momento and I can't remember what else! hehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home