STOP THE TRAFFIK

Monday, December 15, 2008

Self Definition (in the style of Litany by Billy Collins)

I am the wild applause of the crowd
And the debris to be cleared when the festival finishes
I am the vibrations when the bass is loud
And the “leave me alone” of a petulant teen

I am the double chocolate mousse
Eaten slowly with a teaspoon
I am the restless insomniac hour
Wide awake at 3.32. am.

I am not the eye of the storm, the pink fluffy dice
Or the solid straight line.
I am however the silken feel of the well loved cat
And the heady scent of summer dusk.

I am the universe’s power
Charging through the void
But also the swirling motes that catch a
Lazy beam of noonday sun.

I am not the 3 hour exam but I could well be
The forgotten side of the paper
Containing 7 marks if only you’d turn the page and see.

I am not the cartwheel neatly spun
Or the dainty dancer with tightly scrapped bun
But at a push, I could be
The joyful spontaneous pirouette
Of the larger lady who has found true love.

I am the smile on a strangers face,
I am the frilled edge tulip,
I am soft, warm rain.
I am the valiant effort, second prize

I am not the chemo patient
In their relentless battle to defy renegade cells.
I’m not their Iron Man contest,
Their extreme marathon or
Their ultimate mountain peak climb.
I am their glimpse of what could be.
I am the pinnacle and the depths.
I am me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At December 16, 2008 8:22 am, Blogger sparkles said...

wow, where do you get all the ideas from?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home