STOP THE TRAFFIK

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Child Protection

I had an update on my Child Protection training on Wednesday. It's a necessary part of the job but is a subject I feel passionate about.
This isn't really about what I learnt or the training but the trainer himself. He explained his background which was quite high up in the local police force until retirement which helped to explain his approach and delivery style in many respects.
He asked us if we knew how many convicted paedophiles there are in the country. We guessed various incorrect figures- the answer was about 100,000.
He said that was just ones with cautions or convictions. He estimated that the figure was much closer to 1 million.
He then broke down that there are 60 million people in this country, half will be female (and therefore unlikely to be paedohiles), take off another 5 million children and you are left with potentially 25 million men. If 1 million are peadophiles then this means that 1 in 25 men are peadophiles.
I was quite alarmed but maybe not for the reasons I was supposed to be. I guess the upshot was as people working with children, we need to be aware of the potential threat to them in order to protect them.
I think what I'm trying to say is yes, abuse, especially sexual abuse is a concern and we must protect children from it but scaremongering or limiting experiences due to fear is an abuse in itself.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 23, 2008 11:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to spend a lot of time thinking child protection with church youthwork...slightly more time being frustrated at the time CRB's take to come back. I've done a couple of bits of child protection training and always find them interesting however to an extent leave me with a feeling of being limited in what I can do as a youthworker although I can see the idea is to protect the worker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home