STOP THE TRAFFIK

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Doctor Who!

Well the third NuWho series has just ended and I thought I'd give a mini review.
1. Smith and Jones
2. The Shakespeare Code
3. Gridlock
4. Daleks in Manhatten
5. Evolution of the Daleks
6. The Lazarus Experiment
7. 42
8. Human Nature
9. The Family of Blood
10. Blink
11. Utopia
12. The Sound of Drums
13. Last of the Time Lords

1. Wasn' t too impressed by this first episode although I thought the Judoon rhino-police things had potential and hope that maybe they'll make another appearance someday. Didn't really want another assistant in love with the Doctor, however fiesty and intelligent they are. I don't really like the Doctor "dying" in episodes either but the straw wielding granny was rather chilling 5/10
2. This steps up a gear on the scares but again not really sure what they were aiming for on this episode. I like the thought of it and it's acted well but I'm not sure about the dialogue and the plot. 4/10
3. This episode was more like it! From the mood altering substances to the unmoving cars, the underlying comments about our society with the hidden monster lurking in the darkness was classic and entertaining Who. I liked the references to paintings, the cat people and thought the ending good. This is more like it 8/10
4. I like Daleks, I like 30's and I like New York- not sure they all go together though. Was never really sure why the Daleks had to turn humans into pig slaves- couldn't they have just used humans as slaves? But it was chilling, some of the action taking place in the sewer which has got to be good and the return of the Cult of Skaro. 6/10
5. Doctor gets electrocuted and Dalek Sec turns into an odd hybrid. Not sure whether this episode rings true in my eyes but I do like the other daleks turning on him for being an abomination. 6/10
6. I thought this was better written and was mainly good. 7/10
7. This one was really scary and claustrophobic. A bit of a run away from the monster and make it through the doors in time episode but none the less does what it should. "Burn with me!" 7.5/10
8. Human Nature was a masterpiece of writing and has to be the best thing on TV I have seen for a long time. Loving those spooky scarecrows and the creepy girl. 10/10
9. This too was complete genius and I admit that I wept at the end. 10/10
10. I think this failed to impress because it followed Human Nature and Family of Blood but in retrospect making every kid in the country scared of statues has got to be a good thing. 7.5/10
11. This episode was a bit off a set up plot wise but I love Derek Jacobi and seeing him go from kindly Professor Yana to The Master was great. Then seeing him regenerate into John Simm- exciting stuff! 8/10
12. Loved this! John Simm playing a lovable psycho and loving every minute of it. We know now that the Master is mad from looking into the vortex as a child and that the sound of drums follow him, constantly calling him to war against the entire universe. S'all good! 9.5/10
13. "I forgive you"- the most haunting of words. And I desperately wanted a series of the Doctor and Master journeying through time and space together. Brilliant end to the series. Loved it 10/10

What do you think?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At July 02, 2007 9:48 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I completely agree with the 10/10 rating for Family of Blood. Fantastic story and great acting from everyone.

Much as I like John Sims I was not sure he worked as 'the Master' but he was entertaining (I liked it that he burst into song especially!) I really wanted to like the final three parter but would only give it 8/10. Lots of interesting religious imagery and dialogue though.

Good idea for a post!

 
At July 04, 2007 7:29 pm, Blogger Rach said...

Nice to know people still blog about the important stuff ;)

I missed the last episode and am gutted.

 
At July 04, 2007 9:20 pm, Blogger Helsalata said...

Yeah, I'm still wondering about John Simm. But his performance was compelling and I liked that he was multi layered rather than just "all" evil (ie when the Doctor was cradling him and when he was doing the whole zipping his mouth thing). A little too crazy but good on the whole I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home