STOP THE TRAFFIK

Sunday, February 11, 2007

"Being religious"

In the world I notice that people whisper about their dislike of "religious people" before saying something that they feel may be offensive. This is true of comedians: "If you're religious, you'd better leave now [because what is to follow will offend you...]"
I went to see a comedian called Tim Minchin last night who obviously has atheistic tendencies. He was really talented and funny and I really enjoyed the show. He of course had religiously offensive material and used the leave now line. I didn't leave and it didn't offend me.

I hate the term "religious" and if people say "You're not religious are you?" I say "No, I have a faith and a deep spirituality". Am I in denial?

It made me think whether "being religious" is the spiritual equivalent of being a traffic warden?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At February 12, 2007 3:16 pm, Blogger Carl said...

Interesting stuff. You seem to have hit the nail on the head with the traffic warden comment. I guess it's "annoying" religious people giving the rest a bad name?

 
At February 12, 2007 7:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As another one of the "I'm not religious but spiritual" brigade I came unstuck when reading James the other week when it appears that we do need to be religious, just not "that" sort of religious I guess.

 
At February 12, 2007 8:45 pm, Blogger joolians said...

it's the connotations of being "religious". By definition we are religious in that we follow a religion. However, the Rev Neil Walker quite often spoke about the mistake Christians make in being religious. I took this to mean legalistic and inflexible and so tied to an unchallenged doctrine that you almost couldn't see the wood from the trees.

Religion is an easy target for comedians. It takes a lot to come close to offending me. I worry about that sometimes, in that I feel that I should find some things more offensive particularly when Jesus is the butt of the joke. However, God is much bigger than this and he can take it. You need to be able to see the funny side and especially in the darkness. But where does the line get drawn and how thin does the wedge end need to get before you say enough is enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home