STOP THE TRAFFIK

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Brokenness


A lot of my work is with young people with a range of learning and physical disabilities. I really enjoy this as I find they themsleves enjoy working with people who aren't teachers and really enjoy a different approach to their learning. But actually I wonder if my verbal based style is really so inclusive? I think that I'm learning as I go along and I have great admiration for the teaching staff that assist in lessons.
I had the good fortune to visit a sensory room yesterday and thought it was lovely. It got me thinking: even though people with disabilities are obviously at a disadvantage, would it not appear that more effort is spent in trying to engage them? The sensory room proves that every sense is engaged in providing meaning into the lives of what the general public would consider "broken" people.
At the Worship Central conference I went to at the weekend, we had a video shown of Team Hoyt a father and son collaboration with a difference. They compete in marathons, half marathons and triathlons together, the father pushing (or pulling in a dinghy or cycling with) his son. From the website: "Rick was born in 1962 as a spastic quadriplegic, cerebral palsy, non-speaking person. The ability of his mind and person have always been strong, and his family have been hearty supporters of his quest for independence and inclusion in community activities, sports, school and the workplace. Rick is a graduate of Boston University."
The website gives lengthy back ground into the trials of bringing up a child in 70s America and goes on to say, "Rick told his father [via a computerised voice system] he wanted to participate in a five-mile benefit run for a local lacrosse player who had been paralyzed in an accident. Dick, far from being a long-distance runner, agreed to push Rick in his wheelchair. They finished next to last, but they felt they had achieved a triumph. That night, Dick remembers, "Rick told us he just didn’t feel handicapped when we were competing."
The comparison on Saturday was clear: the human father represents our Heavenly Father, carrying, nurturing, loving us through all difficulties. That we lie broken but with feelings of pride, love and determination as Our Father carries us.

I love to think of ourselves as helpless as that. And I love to think that actually rather than us being able bodied, that we're all broken. Who knows? Maybe the kids I work with are less broken than those of us who think we are so perfect and upright. I look forward to meeting up with them in heaven and for them to reminisce about the days when I came to their school.

Labels: , ,