STOP THE TRAFFIK

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Comedy

I have never been enamoured of Ricky Gervais. I find humour based around a weak ineffectual man, lame and it appears that this is his trademark. Can he do anything else? Why yes! He was in a (failed) pop group in the 80's. He's a stand up comic. He writes for others (eg The Simpsons). He's also written a series of children's books called Flanimals. Until looking it up on Wikipedia, I was under the mistaken apprehension that he had drawn the illustrations (which let's face it, makes the book). Oh dear! I'm still not "getting" Ricky Gervais. I think it's probably becuase the nagging doubt in my mind that there really is less to him than meets the eye is probably about right.
And although Borat is not my type of humour, it surprised me to learn this week that Sacha Baron Cohen, the character's creator and performer was also Ali G. Here I can appreciate that something that isn't necessarily to my taste has some skill and appeals to lots of people.
Although I probably won't be watching either men, I know which I'd choose any day of the week. The one with talent.

2 Comments:

At November 08, 2006 11:25 am, Blogger Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said...

Does being one-dimensional make someone less talented, or the comedy less funny?

I find Gervais hilarious because he performs the roles so impeccably.

But people like Paul Whitehouse, two ronnies and Harry Enfield are kind of funny, but jsut perform gags - so IMO, their comedy is funnier than actualy watching it if that makes sense.... unlike when you cringe at David Brent's flashdance/MC hammer s***...

 
At November 09, 2006 8:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair what he is doing is not totally original at all and many of his ideas are straight from Curb Your Enthusiasm. But saying that, the latest series of Extras has been top notch writing and like ben says, impeccably performed. Not everyone's cup of tea. But at least he's not a lazy writer and is always trying new stuff. What he's done, doesn't have the feel of the run of the mill shows. It's uncomfortable. And that is a good thing. Fed up with the yet another sketch show/sitcom genre now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home