STOP THE TRAFFIK

Friday, September 01, 2006

Living forever...

It would appear that wrinkle defying creams and botox injections are not enough. Now a
growing band of scientists and philosophers who truly believe that biological boundaries can be pushed back, allowing humans to live to 200, 300, 1,000 and maybe even longer argue that it is time humans broke free of their "biological chains".

They call themselves "transhumanists". Dr Aubrey de Grey - a geneticist at Cambridge University -believes that many of us who are fairly young now will live to 120 and believes there's probably someone alive today who will live to be 1,000.
There are several considerations for me contemplating living a vast number of years. As a Christian I already believe that I have gained eternal life and that that eternity has already started. So in effect, I am immortal, only not in this body! Now I don't know about you but the thought of eternity terrifies me anyway but that needs to be considered too I think when looking at the life expectancy of humans.
If scientists suggest that we can live realistically to 200 but speculating further to 1000, what implications does that have on us and our environment? We would still be living in the same "fallen world" (ie a world of suffering, injustice and sin) so friends may die of disease, hurricanes will hit homes, your car broken into etc. Life would be the same, only longer.
But what physical condition would you be in at 150? What quality of life could you expect? The major concern would be how could you afford to live for longer. Currently people work until they are 65 and then have a period of retirement. The average life expectancy for men is 75 and for women 80 so you would expect to have 10/15 years of pension. With all the well documented problems people are having with their pensions, I doubt that schemes will be able to cope with (unwilling to cope with) people living to 120.
I am guessing that this will mean that people will have to work until they are 100 perhaps although I think if "transhumans" will exist via a series of injections and other treatments that only an elite will occupy near immortal statuse.
Also thinking of an increasing aged population and the impact that will have on the environment. More people living for longer means increased consumption of the earth's resources. Possible over crowding and the economic impact (elderly relatives not passing on inheritance to younger generations etc).
Sounds like a living hell to me.
Anyway it's been interesting to think of my own mortality. I'm quite happy to think that if God blesses me I'll live to about 90. Quality of life is paramount in thinking about life on earth. An extended number of years doesn't improve your quality of life, it just extends the years you have to experience life.

* revised to add:
What would you do in 1000 years?
Do you think that people without a belief in an afterlife are likely to be more desperate to extend their lives?

4 Comments:

At September 01, 2006 9:40 am, Blogger sparkles said...

personally I don't really see much benefit in living till 1000 (although happy to change if you can persuade me!) because I think I waste enough of my life as it is, and if I lived till 1000 I'd only waste more and take up valuable resources!

 
At September 02, 2006 7:44 pm, Blogger Balaji said...

I would be frustrated if i live that long....though i would love to have many of my loved ones to live long. :-)

 
At September 02, 2006 11:02 pm, Blogger Helsalata said...

Is that a selfish thing however, ie for our benefit and not theirs?

 
At September 05, 2006 6:27 pm, Blogger Chris said...

The whole idea sounds insane to me, we already have millions of people sick, hungry, homeless, so now we're gonna have all the rich people live longer???? I don't think so. Where are we gonna put everyone?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home