STOP THE TRAFFIK

Friday, August 04, 2006

Mel Gibson

It is with interest that I have been reading about Mel and his drink related offences. Since being arrested on Friday, the star has booked himself into rehab which would suggest that he is battling with an ongoing problem with alcohol. This of course is very sad and I am aware that alcoholism is a disease which needs treatment and I'm glad that he is going to get the treatment that he needs.

Not only did Mr Gibson get into a car and drive while under the influence (DUI) but when arrested by a police officer, made anti-semetic comments. According to BBC news he said "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world," and asked the arresting officer: "Are you a Jew?"

The legal blood alcohol limit in California is 0.08% and Mel was 0.12% which doesn't suggest to me that he was "out of his mind" drunk, just a little over the limit. I'm drawing attention to this not because ANY amount over the limit is acceptable but more to discuss whether the anti semetic remarks were totally out of character for Mel or whether the breaking down inhibitions effects of alcohol have merely presented the ideal opportunity for repressed views that ordinarily would be kept tightly under wraps to come to the surface.

Either way, Mel has apologised for the offence his remarks might have caused saying "Please know from my heart I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith."
He has also asked to meet with Jewish leaders in order to discuss "the appropriate path for healing".

I admire a celebrity that can own up to mistakes that they have made. Mel has a problem with alcohol and possibly a problem with prejudice. He has admitted to one and is seeking help for both. All this in the public arena. I hope that the best result will come out of all this for him.

2 Comments:

At August 04, 2006 2:16 pm, Blogger Timothy V Reeves said...

This news item made me shudder too, when I first came across it. Nice one Mel; somewhat detracted from any merits your film had hasn’t it? “Please know from my heart I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot”. I believe you Mel, but I doubt if they’ll believe you now; rather seems to confirm what they thought about you all along doesn’t it? Anyway, there may be a silver lining here: Admitting sin, repenting and seeking forgiveness and spiritual healing is at the core of the faith. Poor Mel, if he allows it, is perhaps the Divinely chosen subject to act out these great principles – in public! Who’d be a celeb!

 
At August 04, 2006 4:18 pm, Blogger Timothy V Reeves said...

PS: I wonder if Mel was stopped by a hansome looking cop all dressed in leather and driving a supped up sports car? Now that really would be postmodern self referencing faction!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home