STOP THE TRAFFIK

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Edinburgh- part 3

I can hardly believe that this time last week I was there! Very surreal! I think the flight made it feel like a foreign holiday. Any how back to the post...

I was amazed while I was there, how many men were wearing kilts- not just the guys playing bagpipes for the tourists but the ordinary men about town. There were some younger women too who were wearing kilts. That was interesting and I'm guessing cooling in the heat although most kilts are made from quite heavy wool so I'm unsure that they make that much difference.

Anyhow, there were a lot of bagpipe players busking but one busker that really caught my eye was a girl of about 8 or 9 who was dressed in full traditional Scottish dress with kilt and sash. She was playing the same Scottish jig or reel on the fiddle over and over again, outside Jenners department store. I passed her several times. She was standing in full sunlight at around lunchtime and had what I would describe as a typical Scottish complexion- pale, milky white skin, very freckled and light ginger hair. Sitting a few feet away was a man and a younger boy who were obviously her father and brother. She was there at least 2 hours but I have no idea when she started and when she finished. It made me really cross for lots of reasons:
  • Was she earning money for her family or just herself?
  • Should she be working in direct sunlight regardless of her skintone?
  • She didn't look happy or comfortable
  • What if anything should I do?
Later as I had a picnic lunch nearby, I saw the three of them with their own packed lunch on the grass. She looked hot but happy as she took a long swig of drink and for the world, it looked like it was just an ordinary family picnic. I was pleased that I have that image in my head because I didn't like to only think of her as exploited.

What do you guys think about it all?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home