STOP THE TRAFFIK

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Redefining Priesthood

This article really says a lot to me and I wanted to share it with you:

A Bristol vicar whose daughter died in the London bombings last July has announced she intends to step down from her parish role in St George.
Reverend Julie Nicholson said she is having difficulty reconciling her feelings over Jenny's death with her role as a priest at St Aidan Church.
Jennifer Nicholson, 24, died in the explosion at Edgware Road.
The Rev Nicholson said she wants to continue to work with young people within the Bristol Diocese.
Church of England spokesman John Lloyd said: "This new post is taking up her special and long-term interest in the arts and theology and is a natural extension of her ministry within the church."
Rev Julie Nicholson said: "In terms of my ministry... a colleague and a friend recently said priesthood begins in the world not in the church and I was very relieved to hear that because what I am trying to do now is redefine my priesthood.
"I am looking for a way in which I can still have priestly ministry when there are some things I can no longer practise, or I can't currently practise... and for me that's about integrity.
"It's very difficult for me to stand behind an altar and celebrate the Eucharist Communion and lead people in words of peace and reconciliation and forgiveness when I feel very far from that myself... so for the time being, for the moment, that wound in me is having to heal."


BBC story here

Redefining priesthood. Obviously my reasons for redefinition are different to Rev Nicholson's but I admire and respect the decision she has made and pray that she is able to find a (recognised) niche for her new ministry soon.

2 Comments:

At March 09, 2006 11:17 pm, Blogger stevie.g said...

When I heard the storey on the radio, my first reaction was how sad, and how sorry I felt for her. Like you H I pray that she is able to find a new role and some peace about he tragedy.....
Thinking again, there are loads of things I'm not much good at, and I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to have to throw it all out with the bathwater....

 
At March 10, 2006 7:47 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

I didn't necessarily read it as a bad thing just a rethink about what her ministry means. If she genuinely is able to redefine it and move into another way of serving then I think that is a positive. If on the other hand she is quitting and will just become bitter and twisted, that will be a waste...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home