STOP THE TRAFFIK

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

In defence of Political Correctness

I have a fondness for PC language, I always have. I think it comes from my political ideology, firmly encamped on the left. Here is the definition from Wikipedia:
Political correctness (also politically correct, P.C. or PC) is a term used in various countries to describe real or perceived attempts to impose limits on language, terms, and viewpoints in public discussion in order to avoid potentially offensive terminology. While it usually refers to a
linguistic phenomenon, it is sometimes extended to cover political ideology or public behavior.
In several English-speaking nations, the term often has a pejorative or ironic meaning—typically connoting an excessive attempt by social or political liberals to alter language and culture. It is also sometimes used to describe attempts to respect marginalized groups (e.g., the Canadian Oxford Dictionary (Oxford University Press Canada 2001) defines political correctness as "the avoidance of forms of expression or action that exclude, marginalize, or insult certain racial or cultural groups").
According to predominantly conservative critics of what they call the "political correctness movement," PC involves censorship and social engineering, and has influenced popular culture, such as music, film, literature, arts and advertising.


Language is a powerful tool: it can be used to generate hate; it can be used to heal and create bonds. Just because it is an ability most people tend to share, it doesn’t mean that we instinctively know how to use it wisely. Parental and school influences strongly come into play in the formative years and many beliefs and prejudices can be picked up without qualms and most of these will be expressed verbally.

The “freedom of speech” argument is a powerful and almost sacred Get Out of Jail Free card: once played, people tend to bow out respectfully, not wishing to curtail what everyone believes is a Basic Human Right. But we need to analyse what “freedom of speech” actually entails. We know that a child who is called “stupid” repeatedly will grow up believing they are stupid. If they are told they are worthless and will never amount to anything, this is emotional abuse and they are in as much danger as any other child who is abused. A fist was never raised, they never went hungry but with the power of words, they were sold a lie that could harm them for the rest of their life. That is the power of words and that is a freedom we are not prepared to allow to the extent that if that happens there are legal sanctions that come into play.

The boys that killed Stephen Lawrence weren’t at liberty to call him “nigger”, David Irving isn’t at liberty to deny the holocaust and Ayman al-Zawahiri is not at liberty to commend terror strikes. We have laws against incitement to racial hatred and we have laws against slander and we have laws against emotional abuse.
But language is a beautiful, subtle thing; the boundaries are not clearly marked and meanings aren’t static. Take the word “gay”: 100 years ago, it meant happy, cheerful; 20 years ago it meant homosexual. What does it mean in the present day? Well it could mean homosexual but common usage especially with young people is to indicate that something is lame, rubbish, ineffectual. Could it be that language is being fluid again and is moving on to a new meaning? Well possibly but the word “gay” is a good example of unpolitically correct terminology. If the accepted meaning of the word “gay” is to mean homosexual, using that word to indicate something negative transfers the negativity to homosexuals too. So by using “gay” as an insult you are saying “That’s lame just like homosexuals are”. Personally, I don’t believe that homosexuals are lame, rubbish or ineffectual so I wouldn’t say it. By not saying “gay” in that context still gives the young people I work with a free reign to say it. I believe that in my role as an informal educator that I need to open young people up to new concepts and ideas and this is done by introducing new ways of thinking through conversation.

YP 1: “Oh that film is so gay!”
YP 2: ”I know!”
Helen: “Well, what do you mean by “gay”?”
YP 1: “Well it’s rubbish”
Helen: “A gay person might not want you to call a rubbish film “gay”.”
YP 2: “Are you gay then?”
Helen: “No, does it matter?”
YP 1: “Yeah, of course it matters if you’re gay. Don’t want you here if you’re gay!”
YP 2: “Yeah you might try it on with me!”
Helen: “Well not every boy fancies you do they? Why would every gay woman?”
YP 2: “I don’t know!”
Helen; “Do you know anyone who’s gay?”
YP 1: “Yeah, there’s this boy in yr 11 who talks like this…(does effeminate impression)”
Helen: “It doesn’t automatically make him gay if he talks like that. And what if he was, does it matter?”
YP1: “Yeah of course it does!”
Helen: “I’ve got lots of friends who are gay- they’re still my friends whoever they go out with, it makes no difference to me. Why should it? And they might be offended by you using the word “gay” as an insult.”
YP 2: “Well yeah I see what you mean but we don’t really mean it like that. It just kinda means rubbish. Everybody says it”
Helen; “Well I don’t and I’d prefer it if you didn’t too, if that’s OK.”
YP 1: “OK”

It gets to the stage where the young people say it on automatic pilot and then immediately apologise! I don't really mind but I like them to have an alternative view point so that they are able to think about the choices they make.

In my mind it’s about thinking about the hidden power in words and what they can convey. When I was asked if I could “man” the stall, I replied that I could “staff” it. I guess some people would think that’s just picky but it makes me feel less uncomfortable. I also try and pick language that might allow others to feel comfortable too like using the word partner instead of husband/wife.

I'm interested in the way that humour pushes boundaries in order to get laughes but I'm thinking that that is another post entirely. What do you think of PC language?

7 Comments:

At March 07, 2006 7:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'What do you think of PC language?'

Utter rubbish when it's taken too far, you have a prime example in your post - David Irving didn't deny the holocaust happened, he expounded a theory that there were no gas chambers at Auswitch.

What right did Mr Language have to take the word gay and use it to refer to homosexuals? And why can it not be claimed for a different use now?

 
At March 07, 2006 11:26 pm, Blogger Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said...

In my opinoin, the dynamic and subtly evolutionary nature of language is something that should be celebrated. Language has the potential to be a weapon, but I've not seen it used like that apart from 1930s Nazi Properganda and Abu Hamza. Short of these extreme examples, I regually thank God than I can speak my mind in a society where I'm not shot for the proveledge of doing so. Curbing language is no different to a police-state or moreover thoughtcrime (to a lesser extent), either way, a free society is paradoxial to political correctness.

I see PC culture as a nature which pertends to a cleaner state of linguistics, like frowning on terms such as "Nigger" and "Pakki" (interesting to note that both of these are racially involved terms and I still think that's the only time I've seen language used as a weapon (see above)). But putting euphanisms on every tiny thing is stilly, like:

old person -> seniour citizen
spaztic -> Cerebral Palsy... (patient?)
fat -> obease
men/women -> Persons

none of these terms are overly offensive, but it takes some (left wing) libetarionist to declare them as offensive, and so they become (in my opnion of course). Prime example, is spaztic used to ne an entirely acceptible term, and then all of a sudden it became an insult - and why? Because language evolved, in much the same way as `gay` became an insult (and I thought it interesting that gays don't complain, whereas cerebral palsy pations have people to decide the term is offensive on their behalf).

the thing is, although, like Helen said, language can be a demoralising and horrible endeavor, it has been as such for as long as linguitic communication has. Shakespeare perpetrates the idea of the coveting Jew with language; Marlowe portrays the idea of the black man being the comical evil; Dickens wrote all sorts of oppressive and vindictive texts, yet, people got on with life as that was their culture. The nature of language hasn't changed, even if the semantics have, and so it is that I cannot bear the thought of free men (by which I mean persons!) having to curb their tongues upon the whim of the left wing humanitarianists.

 
At March 08, 2006 7:10 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

1. David Irving didn't deny the holocaust happened?

Jailed British historian David Irving has again said he does not believe Hitler presided over a systematic attempt to exterminate Jews in Europe. (source BBC news) The fact that he has modified his claims to allow for the fact that SOME Jews were killed is very generous of him. That point isn't really what I'm debating, it's about the effect his words have had and to debate that when his words affect so many people that he really doesn't have a right to say them without suffering the consequences. You may not like PC language but there are consequences of not using it.

2. And Ben it appears that you are saying so long as you think the usage of certain words is offensive, then it is offensive. What about the woman who went to my church who had cerebral palsy who was a high school teacher? Would you feel comfortable calling her spastic to her face? And so what if she's a high school teacher and is more able than others with her condition. ISn't every person with cerebral palsy entitled to respect even though they may not be in a position to demand it verbally?
And so what if I'm a middle class lefty making demands for the rights of others? I believe that once subtly abusive language is accepted, it creates division and justification for certain groups to elevate themselves (take young, white males in employment for example). If it weren't language then it would be called thoughtfulness- "I'm black so why I am I being called Paki? I'm not from Pakistan." It's thoughtless because there is a lack of interest in that persons actual heritage, it's saying in effect "You all look the same and I can't be bothered to distinguish you all from each other" and I can't think of one instance where the term is used in a friendly and non confrontational way so that means it was coined as a term of abuse.

3. "just because it's historical doesn't mean it's right"
because Marlowe, Milton or Dickens wrote with the constraints of prejudice from their own era, doesn't mean that what they say is acceptable now. It may be great literature but we need to gather lessons from what is said just as we need to learn from all aspects of history. We learn to improve the human condition by learning from past mistakes.

*Please be aware that anything I deem offensive in anyway in the response to this will be removed. But you knew that anyway didn't you?

 
At March 08, 2006 8:59 am, Blogger joolians said...

a wicked post.

anonymous seems to have missed the point completely. what a pity. (sorry, I have a problem with anonymous posters).

re the word gay, I think a word can have two or more meanings but context will be more important. you can, if you like, try and transfer a meaning to another, such as gay meaning lame must mean then that homosexuality is lame, but I don't think this is necessarily the case. there's a switch in my mind which can separate the two. another example pikey - can mean different things to different people - racist or not? yes and no. and i have heard someone ask that the word nigardly not be used.

 
At March 08, 2006 10:19 am, Blogger Carl said...

Interesting post, Helen, thanks.

I'm alright with political correctness up to a point. When it gets to the point where we have to say "coffee without milk" rather than "black coffee", even when the black people in the room take no offense from the term "black coffee", then I start to get annoyed.

I guess I mean the point where it crosses the line from actual usefulness to being political correctness for the sake of political correctness. When it gets esoteric, it's annoying.

 
At March 09, 2006 10:07 pm, Blogger Ben F. Foster Esq. (c) said...

I agree 100% with Carl - well almost completely because I don't know what esoteric means.

Re: point 2, Helen:
`something's offensive if I think it is`
and
`would i call a cebral palsy sufferer a `spastic`?`
On both accounts, I'd argue langugage is a dynamic ever changing comodity. I mean I'd call the nice woman a spastic five years ago, but now she may give me a look. (Actually, I'm really ignorant, I don't know whether cebral palsy people can do that - i meant no offensive if that was offensive).

Re: Point 3:
there was a quote from the office which says something like about racism `before it was bad` as just a throw-away comment. Obviously this isn't acceptible, but times change, people change, and oddly enough, moral standards change in society. For example, La goes to work every day which would have been equally silly in Shakespeare's day as black men voting - regardless of whether that his a nerve with some people...

 
At March 12, 2006 9:22 am, Blogger Mark said...

Good post, but I'd just like to echo Joolian's comments on anonymous. Come out and show yourself you big anonymous wuss!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home