STOP THE TRAFFIK

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Taste...

Over several weeks and months I have becoming aware of the place that choice and taste plays in my day to day life. I might start off with "What do I feel like for breakfast this morning?" along with the options for breakfast and lunch that I offer my offspring. "I don't like that" and "Have we got something else?" frequently rear their heads in the morning.
While in Spain, we had limited choice in food: a lack of familiar brands, a lack of Fairtrade items, a desire to purchase things that didn't involve an exchange of communication, etc.
What is it with choice? We had plenty of nice food to eat! Wherever we are, at home or abroad we have more choice than we could possibly need. Why should I have something to eat that I fancy, shouldn't I just make do with what's there? During the war you couldn't choose from veggie sausages, bacon sandwich or fruit for breakfast. People in developing countries don't have a choice necessarily. Why should I automatically assume that I have a right to a choice?
Carl has posted about the reasons people use not to buy Fairtrade products here. It's a good point. We are so used to an aisle full of options that we shirk from being limited to just one choice. Having our right to choice is just the 21st century way of saying "let them eat cake". So long as we're alright Jack it doesn't even occur to us that someone, somewhere had to produce the ingredients that make up our food. There will come a time when water is scarce and fuel scarcer. To truck or freight stuff hundreds of miles will be uneconomical. What will we do then: starve? "I don't like that!" or "I want something else!" won't be options. We are living the high life now and future generations will have to pay for it. Can't the solution be that we limit our choices now and have options in the future? Or are we so blind that we can't project forward to the future possibilities? Grrrr!

:(

3 Comments:

At February 22, 2006 10:24 pm, Blogger sparkles said...

and of course that's why I only eat cucumber sandwiches ;)

 
At February 23, 2006 1:41 am, Blogger monty said...

The smell of cucumber is enough to get me in my petrol guzzling car and go to dominoes pizza and choose something from them ......

Choice is choice, so if your concious of the problems and impact choice is having you can do something about it. But you can also choose not to.

I was in the garage filling my car with petrol. I wondered how many people who talk about what is great and good for the world who do drive, choose the more expensive unleaded petrol over standard petrol. I know I should choose the more expensive which is better for the environment, but I don't because of cost. So my choice is effecting....

1. The cost of the "better petrol"
2. The environment....

Oh it get all so heavy, it hurts at 1.40 am.....

 
At February 23, 2006 7:25 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

I guess the question is would we all benefit from having less choice? And who does choice benefit? Health wise it isn't the consumers...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home