STOP THE TRAFFIK

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Management and Leadership

One of my essays is about management which naturally has led me to thinking a lot about managing people at work. In some respects having my new job means I feel that I have to "raise my game" as far as dealing with people- but what does that mean in practice? One of my favourite Simpson episodes is when Homer gets head hunted by Globex Corp. and he works for Mr Scorpio getting his nuclear reactor online. In it, Homer discovers his talent for managing and motivating his staff "with doughnuts... and the possibility of more doughnuts!" and with business hammocks. Maybe Homer lands on his feet with highly motivated staff or maybe he really did hit upon something because he succeeds like he never has before.

Joolian has also been thinking about leadership in his blog. It's an important but under appreciated thing. This is an individualistic world that we live in: we don't want to think that anyone is in charge or has any right to tell us what to do. For this and many other reasons (like not wanting to accept the buck), the concept of leadership as a desirable quality, fell out of fashion. Which is why I think it's so hard to pinpoint people who display leadership qualities. The process of learning by example isn't to be had as people try to bumble their way through leading others.

Also the climate surrounding the people to be led is one of mistrust and cynicism. Be strong and you will be consider aggressive, be friendly and you will be considered weak. We have no conscious desire to be led, we have no conscious desire to lead ourselves, we have no conscious desire to support anyone who might take on the role. With no role model to base the leadership role on, leaders and managers try their best based on intuition, guesswork or the latest management manual.

I had a thought the other day: "What if my staff don't like me?!" I don't know what the answer is and in some respects I suppose it doesn't matter when leading people but I do want to discover what a manager is. What it is and what they do.

Even before today's sermon, I remembered what it is that sets Christians apart. It's seeing everyone as unique. And I know what I have to do now, not just to members of staff but everyone: I need to discover what it is about them that's so special and convince themselves of it.

I can now say that I don't care about whether I'm "good at my job" or "working to a higher grade". I care that I empower people that I come into contact with to be the best that they can, whether they are youth workers or young people. Sounds too cheesy...maybe I ought to find the hammock district...

7 Comments:

At January 09, 2006 8:38 am, Blogger Phil said...

I think you're right. In my mind, I'd rather follow or be a leader who leads by empowering others, than follow or be a manager who just about manages.

The Willow Creek phrase springs to mind: "The Right people, in the Right places for the Right reasons"

Oh to release people in to situations where their skills are used correctly, and their passions are tapped. I'd want to work there, or worship there...

 
At January 09, 2006 8:46 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

It's all about servanthood really isn't it? It's lifting the other person up high in order to reach their full potential: they might not even acknowledge that it was something that you did. I think that's what's different about being a Christian in the work place and I intend to explore it. I'll keeep you posted on how it goes!

 
At January 09, 2006 11:36 am, Blogger Phil said...

I talked about restoration in my YMCA interview, and I got a comment back "Some guys don't want to be restored." !!

I guess the trick is to discern between the ones who want help and the ones who don't!

 
At January 09, 2006 10:46 pm, Blogger joolians said...

I think generally we do have a desire to be led. And where there is no clear leadership, we fill the void with temporary fixes or by the illusion of self empowerment.

But you're right in that in management positions we are there to encourage and empower. To be there for people, to give advice and above all listen.

It's not a question of wanting to be liked. This is to be earned with two way trust and respect. Failing this, the donut option is always there and I find this works as a good back up on a Friday. But make sure you include custard flavour. They're surprisingly popular.

 
At January 10, 2006 7:55 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

Not with youth workers! :P

 
At January 12, 2006 12:59 am, Blogger monty said...

I work in a large multi national corporation as a leader. For me leadership is primarily about ensuring people deliver what they agree to deliver. This is not done with an iron rod or strong whip but by encouragment, focus and regular accountability through checkpoint meetings and feedback.

I wouldn't say for me its servitude, although in the end people under me serve my requirements, I in turn serve my management requirements, whom in turn serve the customer.

My approach in a leadership role is to ensure they know I am the leader, and once they do, make sure they feel we are all leading together. Is that team work?

 
At January 12, 2006 9:04 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

Some interesting points there Monty, thanks!
"For me leadership is primarily about ensuring people deliver what they agree to deliver."
This is interesting because we have target setting which I guess is agreeing and boundaryfying the work to be done. If all goes well, there will need to be only minimal tweeking in order that this contractual partnership is fulfilled. In other cases, there may be issues.
I have to deal with some issues with one member of staff which is new for me.I shall keep in mind the target setting/agreeement thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home