STOP THE TRAFFIK

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happiness vs satisfaction

After the programme Making Slough Happy (a three parter of which I only watched the first episode) I am going to make it a bit of a quest in 2006 to think about Happiness. What is it that makes people happy? The programme advocated a Happiness Manifesto and on today's BBC news we have this article.

I mentioned in passing to my tutor for my Brunel course about the programme and he said "It isn't actually happiness that people want". And I agree with him. But what is it that people want? I dither between whether this is satisfaction or contentment, although the BBC article confirms that having acheivable goals is also very satisfying. I believe that delayed gratification has its part to play in making us feel warm and fuzzy about the things we achieve too. Maybe the truth lies in a mish mash of everything!

The 10 steps to happiness
  • Plant something and nurture it
  • Count your blessings - at least five - at the end of each day
  • Take time to talk - have an hour-long conversation with a loved one each week
  • Phone a friend whom you have not spoken to for a while and arrange to meet up
  • Give yourself a treat every day and take the time to really enjoy it
  • Have a good laugh at least once a day
  • Get physical - exercise for half an hour three times a week
  • Smile at and/or say hello to a stranger at least once each day
  • Cut your TV viewing by half
  • Spread some kindness - do a good turn for someone every day

I do think that following the manifesto will keep you on an even keel but will we be satisfied with an even keel? If you don't have massive lows, then can you have massive highs? Is the a pay off a happy medium? Hmmm, now I know why I was told in my essays that I ask too many questions that I don't answer! It could be the secret of my contentment in life...you never know!

4 Comments:

At January 08, 2006 12:03 am, Blogger Louise said...

shall we try those things for a week and see what happens?

if it worked, id be pleased that it was that simple!

 
At January 08, 2006 8:25 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

I really think it is that simple which is why I think that "happiness" in this case is contentment! And I'm up for trying it out. I think my problem is worrying about things. I just need a strategy for not letting things gnaw away in the back of my mind.

 
At January 08, 2006 12:01 pm, Blogger Laura said...

Someone just signed into MSN and their name is 'stressed is desserts backwards'. It seemed kinda appropriate!

 
At January 09, 2006 11:19 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

Puddings are the source of happiness? I tried that and just ended up over weight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home