STOP THE TRAFFIK

Sunday, December 04, 2005

6 week trial

For fairness sake, I thought that I had better blog that today's sermon was really top! James was preaching on 1 Timothy 4:

v8: For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. (Context)

He was refering to the way we train in order to achieve a physical fitness and yet expect to "get away" with nothing similar to keep our spiritual selves in shape. 10 years ago when he was a little "porky" ;-), he read in Marie Claire that to achieve a better standard of fitness, that you need to stick at a regime for 6 weeks to test whether you like it and if you like it, that's long enough to turn it from a chore to a habit. He tried swimming every morning and although it was an effort, he managed to do it for 6 weeks. As I already know (because I'm doing it with the food thing!), you need to set yourself acheivable goals and celebrate them.

This got me thinking, that I ought to do something similar with spending time with God. I've established a time when I can safely say most mornings I will be able to give God some time (how very generous of me!). I will aim very low to begin with (10 mins) in order not to set myself up to fail, definately during the week and altering it in some respects to be able to do it at the weekend. I will try and focus on a topic maybe at the beginning, although I don't know that I have to stick with that. I will aim to blog either a prayer or a single word as almost a 5 minute evaluation afterwards to make myself accountable and see where I'm going...

I'm going to try it for 6 weeks, one week at a time...

2 Comments:

At December 05, 2005 9:02 am, Blogger Phil said...

Oooh, I think God's gonna like that :)

 
At December 05, 2005 4:22 pm, Blogger sparkles said...

I've failed already on mine...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home