STOP THE TRAFFIK

Monday, November 21, 2005

Theology of Guilt

Yesterday's sermon was another one that I struggled with. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the place I'm in, which would make sense. The problem was manifold: firstly it was to be found in a family service, secondly it was too long for a family service and thirdly because of the content.
A family or all age service should aim to be inclusive to all ages which means in my mind it should be an hour or less in length and be made up of different elements to suit a variety of ages and learning/experiential styles. This means shorter, "sound bite" type components to keep/attract the attention of the very young (2/3+) and to be aware of and either accomodate or give alternatives to those who have little mobility or have older age infirmities.
I am of the opinion that shorter in time doesn't mean "dumbing down" and that an elderly, even scholarly person can gain as much from a two minute piece in a family service as they can from a 20 minute sermon.
The compromise for our family services is that James can do up to 10 minutes in a "talk" and over the last 8 months or so, it has become clear that this is the "adult slot" for the service. James calls it "the meat". It is there because it is expected. The option for colouring packs is given to the "young folk" in order that they have something to occupy them while the sermon is underway. I do like the idea because small children may not be able to concentrate for the whole hour but I do object to calling a service accessible and then deliberately making it inaccessible. Also, the arrogance of adults thinking that they can only "get something from" a 20 minute talk from an ordained minister is really beyond my comprehension.
So the sermon is in there, but fortunately, only a 10 minute one. Well, usually 10 minutes: yesterday the sermon was pushing 20 minutes (between 15 and 20, I'm unsure how long precisely).
The topic for the service as a whole was how the awesomeness of God is reflected in His creation, how mighty He is, is plain to see. James' sermon was on the call of Isaiah and how Isaiah was excited and keen to get that call. He compared that to how perhaps we respond to the call of God, with provisos, doubt and plain reluctance. Admittedly James did say he was talking about himself too as he said this but I was already irritated. What about the people who are obedient to God's call to stay in a dead end job, with no gamour, support and no recognition? It's all very well that people feel called to go to be a missionary in Tagalog but who is going to be a bin man in Catton? Or a shelf stacker in Fakenham? Or a nurse at the N&N?

This is what I hate about the church. We are always made to feel like what we do is second best. Buying Fairtrade? Well you should really go over to Tanzania and help those people in co-operatives to develop their businesses. Been 15 years in the same office? Well you really ought to have heard the call of God into ministry by now. Donated money to the Bulgarian orphange? Well you still have a cosy home and enough money to go to the cinema. Converted any people this week? Cooked for forty? Visited the sick in hospital? Given away your belongings?
Whatever we do, it will never be enough. However we hear the voice of God and respond to it, it won't be enough. Whatever we give, it will never be enough. I don't need a 20 minute sermon to tell me this.

It's becoming clear to me that God is calling people to stay where they are. He is calling people to be a missionary to their families. He wants people to do what they do and to do it to the best of their abilities. Just as much as he wants the evangelists, missionaries abroad and the ordained. I don't want to be made to feel guilty that I haven't done enough. I've done loads.

11 Comments:

At November 21, 2005 6:37 pm, Blogger joolians said...

But isn't that the point - what we do is second best. Everyone falls short, every time. It's a very difficult message to preach without appearing to preach guilt. And really that's the opposite of what the message is. You have to balance between "ooh ooh pick me" hand stretched in the air, as in Isaiah, and the fact that when we are picked we can never do enough for God.

For me, you do what you can, in the place that you are. We are not all called to be street evangelists. We are called to do what we do best, whatever that may be. And don't worry about what other people do, but to encourage them to do what they do best too.

My worry is that people think that doing stuff for Church is the one and the same as doing stuff for God. It's not always. Nor is being busy, 100% of the time 24/7. That's no good to anyone.

 
At November 21, 2005 8:48 pm, Blogger sparkles said...

I like the colouring packs. I always get one...

I really enjoyed the talks at CU this weekend - the whole weekend was about relational evangelism - reaching our friends. It encouraged me that I'm doing what God wants.

I agree that people need to be encouraged in what they're doing. I also think that people need to be encouraged to listen to God more. And potentially shown how...

 
At November 21, 2005 9:54 pm, Blogger Helsalata said...

I have no problem with the colouring packs...

 
At November 21, 2005 9:58 pm, Blogger joolians said...

I liked the big Sunshine they made. I studied it during the evening service and wondered whether it was art or not. i decided it was.

 
At November 22, 2005 8:51 am, Blogger Mark said...

From your summary of James's talk it doesn't sound like he said the bit you object to??

I agree with you, and with James. Our calls are to all sorts of tasks and places, and the 'glamour' calls are no better or worse than the bin-man calls, but either way I do think there's a reluctance in all of us to answer the call, whatever it is.
God says, "Follow me, I'll see you right."

Most of the time I think we don't quite believe he knows what's going on, so even if the current call is to just chat with that guy at the bar, I tend to assume God must be confused, he can't possibly actually mean that.

Of course, I could be wrong, and maybe James was advocating a hierarchy of calls, but I know from personal experience that people will interpret a whole host of things I never meant, or IMO said, when I do talks or whatever.

 
At November 22, 2005 9:09 am, Blogger Carl said...

On a similar theme:

http://urbanarmy.blogspot.com/2005/11/id-rather-listen-to-buddha.html

 
At November 22, 2005 9:55 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

Really interesting link Carl, thank you. All in all everyone is right:
Joolian, the service as a whole was one that I enjoyed with all it's elements. I already had an issue with the place of "an adult preach" in an accessible service. Sunday just highlighted this for me once again. The preach to be fair wasn't meant to be guilt inducing. As I have said, it's more about where I am coming from that I latched onto that.
Sparkles, the friendship one is for life. I just wish we could pray for the stamina and longevity to see these friendships through rather than pray for God to zap them and "make them a Christian". I suppose viewing it as a journey with your friends rather than "the journey begins when they take a step of faith".
Mark, I guess I ranted and that was unfair on the preacher. It is about me latching onto something that irritates me. A fair view of the service is that it seemed to meet everyone's needs, which I think is a pretty darned good outcime.
Carl, what a story! The good news is that Jesus doesn't make me feel guilty- it's only ever the church. And as I said to Julian the other night, only you can allow yourself to feel guilty and you can't blame anyone else for that.

 
At November 22, 2005 5:17 pm, Blogger Mark said...

Hmm, I'm confused now: I think I want to say that some guilt ought to be in our lives now and again, after all, we are often guilty of things. At the same time, that's clearly not a widely held view, and Christ did bring us freedom.

Or did he? Didn't he bring us freedom from condemnation and from the fruits of our wrongs? That's not necessarily the same as never feling bad about a poor choice I made is it? Surely remorse ought to be a feature of our lives if we're not perfect?

I feel like I'm hijacking your blog now, sorry ;)

 
At November 22, 2005 8:57 pm, Blogger Helsalata said...

I did think that as soon as I had posted! I think that guilt is right when convicted by the Holy Spirit but I guess that guilt from inadequacy is pretty useless unless it inspires you to purer aspirations.

Now I'm getting confused...

 
At November 23, 2005 8:51 am, Blogger sparkles said...

it doesn't take much for some of us ;) I guess it depends on what we do with the guilt.

I would use it to make myself feel bad, and that's not particularly productive...

maybe we all need to learn how to deal with it.

 
At November 25, 2005 9:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the bit in the 'talk' where the 'train' or hem of his robe filling the temple, Image such an awesome sight, just the hem filling a huge temple.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home