STOP THE TRAFFIK

Friday, November 11, 2005

The Lost

I'm struggling with the Christian concept of The Lost. This is a term that encompasses all those who have not made a commitment to follow Jesus Christ and I'm wondering if I'm struggling with the term or all it implies. Because of the Great Commission at the end of Matthew we are all, as Christians, duty bound to convert all unbelievers.
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
This is currently problematic for me as I am finding the authority of the bible a difficult concept to grasp so by saying "It's biblical" really doesn't help.
Also evangelising is a difficult and especially gifted thing to be able to do. It doesn't suit everyone and yet all Christians are made to feel that they should be "doing it" whatever their skills or giftings.
And then there is the arguement that "just being" a Christian will move people to want to be with us and discover more about our faith. Well if they stick by me long enough, I'm bound to throw spanners in the works by gossiping or something unChristian. And what am I going to offer if they seek to discover what is "different" about me? A Sunday club? A way of fitting in extra things into a busy schedule and feeling guilty that that STILL isn't enough?

I have also worked out that I need to work through what happens to The Lost when they die. I think I believe in hell from the point of view of people realising that they're missing out on the glories that God offers. I'm unsure whether this lasts forever or whether there is possible redemption from that. I would like to think that a merciful God would offer some hope of redemption, even at that late stage. So maybe I'm coming back to a Catholic notion of Purgatory- a place of holding, of not quite being ready to face God but being eventually able to enter heaven.
The evangelical, free (and tied) church says all who don't proclaim Jesus as their Lord will perish. Jesus is THE way, the truth and the life and no one will get to the Father except through Him. I don't have a problem with Jesus being a gatekeeper and a bridge between the wrath of God and the sinfulness of man but I do take issue that we can issue such a huge blanket statement about salvation that will condemn most of humanity, past and present to Hell. I have a lot more thinking to do before I could even begin to start rationalising and formulating arguements on this.

I was listening to the song "Led to the Lost" and thinking I didn't agree with it. I feel like some cheesy salesman trying to get unsuspecting customers to sign up to my wonderful eternal life policy. Trying to be the number one salesman of the week, plotted on the graph and winner of the weekend for two to Aruba by being able to smash the last target of 23 souls in one week. I think for me that eternity although assured, I could never be complacent about. If our human form is based on that of a creative and working God, then surely we are built to mimic that design pattern? So an eternity of kicking back can't surely be on the cards? An eternity of singing praises to God wearing a white sheet and glowing slightly doesn't inspire me to long for an early death and I doubt it will for The Lost too. If heaven is complex and our God is complex, what does this mean for the available routes into the afterlife? Or is this just my way of trying to wriggle out of talking to people about God? What I do know is that I don't want to convert people, that I don't feel upset that they will perish, that I'm not a good enough example and no, I don't feel Led to the Lost.

Sorry

7 Comments:

At November 12, 2005 11:39 pm, Blogger Carl said...

I struggle with these issues too.

I do take issue that we can issue such a huge blanket statement about salvation that will condemn most of humanity, past and present to Hell.

That is indeed a serious weakness of the traditional evangelical position - if we hold that God knew the outcome of sending his son, and he sent his son in order to redeem humanity, why would he have designed it so that only a small percentage of the human race are redeemed? Sure, he had to give them free will, but that could have been manifested in other ways.

I also feel lacking in urgency of evangelism.

 
At November 13, 2005 1:17 am, Blogger Louise said...

Helen, youre so good, you manage to present in a level-headed form what I would present as

'It's a load of rubbish! Run from the cult!'

you actually give me hope that I can not know everything that goes on in the before during and after-life and still follow christ :-)

 
At November 13, 2005 7:02 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

Thank you for your kind words. It's my intention not to pull any punches because I'm an honest person. I do believe that Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life but I think that God will keep offering opportunities to know him even after this life. Let's face it, it's all so complex we will probably struggle with it even when we are enlightened after our deaths! I do trust God though so I know it will work out well...

 
At November 13, 2005 4:09 pm, Blogger sparkles said...

I like that idea, but part of me thinks am I latching on to an idea that makes me feel better because I don't like the thought of my friends going to hell, and therefore I feel less worried about being a bad evangelist because they'll get another chance...

I think I'm starting to realise that I'm much better at supporting people who are already Christians, rather than leading people to Jesus. But maybe that's just because I haven't really done it before. Yes I do feel pressured into telling people about Jesus, but maybe that's because the 'love' isn't brimming out of me at the moment so I don't have the passion to tell people.

I've also been wondering recently - am I friends with my housemates just because I want them to be Christians or would I be friends with them anyway? And if it is just because I want them to be Christians, is that wrong?

Someone at soul survivor said that on average people who become Christians have had contact with 7 different people before they make that decision, so maybe my contact with my friends is helping, but I won't see the fruit as such. Maybe we just have to prayfully try - whether that's just praying, just through our actions, or in discussion - and leave the worrying about whether we've done any good up to God? Maybe it's not about how many people we've led to Jesus.

Which song do you mean by 'Led to the Lost'? Is that 'God of Justice' or something else?

"God of justice, Saviour to all
Came to rescue the weak and the poor
Chose to serve and not be served
Jesus, You have called us
Freely we've received, now freely we will give

We must go
Live to feed the hungry
Stand beside the broken
We must go
Stepping forward
Keep us from just singing
Move us into action, we must go

To act justly every day
Loving mercy in every way
Walking humbly before You God
You have shown us, what You require
Freely we received, now freely we will give

Fill us up and send us out
Fill us up and send us out
Fill us up and send us out Lord"

The only problem that I have with it, is that maybe it suggests that we're not doing it already (which is sometimes the case) and seems to tell people that they need to go out into the world and serve the poor in other countries. But to me it means more than that. To me it's a song I need to apply to every day life. It reminds me that I need to stop thinking about myself and that there are greater things to worry about, like people who are starving, people who are lonely, people who are struggling, people who I could actually do something to help.

 
At November 13, 2005 4:40 pm, Blogger Louise said...

I know you love an offering thats costly outreaching touching your heart for the poor, the songs we sing as our offerings are mor fragrant in your presence if we live a life of love

As we follow your heart we are lead to the lost, finding there a place of praise no matter what the cost, so we will stand with the weak, give our most to the least, Serving you with all we have your kingdom God we seek.

I see what you command, be faithful and humble putting my selfish hopes aside, change my heart that I may love my neighbour as my brother, and live a life of love.

something like that anyway

 
At November 13, 2005 5:19 pm, Blogger sparkles said...

ah ok, don't think I've heard that one. Quite like the looks of it though...

 
At August 16, 2013 11:15 pm, Blogger charleyg said...

I don't remember getting a "verify" code from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home