STOP THE TRAFFIK

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Cosmetic Surgery

Saw a programme with Joan Collins in yesterday who must be all of 70 (her profile on IMDB tells me that she's 72) She dresses well well and from what you can see has a very good figure. She carries herself like a younger woman and obviously her face looks a lot younger than her 70 years. She was wearing a large amount of make up and you could see she has had several face lifts. Does this matter? Is this just a natural "extention" from wearing make-up? She looks good and is in show business where you have to look good but does this create an ideal that women try to live up to?
It makes me wonder if I would ever have any cosmetic procedure. On the whole, I would think not. I think that seeing the person as an entirity is important so knowing that lines and wrinkles and saggy bits are all a part of an aging process that include wisdom and refinement. But on the other hand to have surgery to correct something that deviates from the norm would be different. If I had an accident and a op would minimise the visual effects of that then I would probably go for it.
I know a few people who have gone under the knife. Sometime ago a girl at Wymondham Leisure Centre had a breast enlargement and she showed us what it looked like. Someone I worked with got a tummy tuck and now my friend Hannah has had a breast reduction. But for me? I wouldn't want to interfere surgically with something that didn't need altering because of the risks of being under anathestic, because of scarring and the cost. I think that being imperfect is partly the charm of being human. I also think that focusing as our society does on outward appearance at all costs that we lose the beauty of discovering the beauty of personality and character. At the end of the day, I couldn't afford it and there are things that I would rather spend the money on. Anyway, where would I start? ;-)

2 Comments:

At November 06, 2005 11:17 am, Blogger Louise said...

'I also think that focusing as our society does on outward appearance at all costs that we lose the beauty of discovering the beauty of personality and character.'

Yes!

 
At November 09, 2005 10:12 pm, Blogger Louise said...

also...there is a very god storyline on neighbours about this atm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home