STOP THE TRAFFIK

Thursday, September 22, 2005

a new retail development for norwich

Well after months of building and speculation, the new Chapelfield development is open! I thought it was disappointing at first as it reminded me of a very old fashioned shopping centre in Preston, probably dating from the 60's. On reflecting, it's light and airy and fairly simple, ie no gimmicks, which I think is a good thing. The ground floor level, accessed via the old Woolworths entrance on St. Stephens St. is fairly humdrum. The obligatory and rather annoying Clinton's, Timpsons, O2 and Claire's. So far, so similar to the Castle Mall. The upper floor however seemed to have a more upmarket feel to it with stores like French Connection, Elle, Esprit, Monsoon and Mango. Lots of new names to Norwich: Zara in particular is nice and affordable. THe best part about this floor for me was that it leads out into the open, yes! Into the real outside! On the map that was handed out by one of maybe 100 people hired to welcome visitors, it is called Chapelfield Plain. There are shops on either side of a fairly open, well almost square (like a market square. Yesterday there was a drumming band. They were very good. It added atmosphere and excitement. There are places to sit and then the path continues past a church and graveyard and comes out onto Theatre Street. This was my favourite area. There is a third level that has the food court and I only had a brief look. There's Garfunkels (but I'm thinking the family may well have out grown it! GOne are the days when we used to go with Grandad so we could all be accomodated!), MacDonalds, Pizza Hut, Spud-U-Like etc
I will not be eating there.

All in all: it's just another place with shops! We all spend too much in our society and I have an uneasy sense that as people have little to eat and are not safely housed, that spending on the latest top with sequins or a tub of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, is just one indulgence too far. This doesn't mean I won't be spending time there or probably even money. I got a money off voucher for Boots that I will be using. Also Hotel Chocolat was a shop of lovely chocolate indulgence and it maybe a place where I buy some Christmas gifts. I guess in my own head I need to clarify what is acceptable expenditure and what is wasteful. This is hard and I guess a personal decision. The ethics of my spending power are becoming a difficult concept to get my head around. I like a skirt in H&M, I need a skirt, I can afford it and now I have to think to myself in what conditions and by whom was this made? Where were the materials sourced and what damage did the dyes do to the surrounding area? Will this skirt give me several years of wear?

So yes I will be spending but I doubt it will be very much and I doubt that they will want to attract my meagre custom. But I do have three consuming daughters (one of which has already bought stuff there!) without the same moral dilemmas whizzing around their heads. And judging by the crowds there yesterday, I really don't think that a lack of business is going to be an issue for them.

2 Comments:

At September 26, 2005 2:27 am, Blogger Louise said...

nooooo...hotel chocolat is just lush but with chocolate instead of soap....doesnt even get ya as clean!

 
At September 27, 2005 8:12 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

Chocolate is gooooooood. (And Lush is too!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home