STOP THE TRAFFIK

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Films and TV

Lots of films and plenty of TV for me recently.

Girl with a Pearl Earring- this looked really pretty and the slow pace had a very "bookish" feel to it but at the end of the day, it didn't have enough plot or unfortunately enough emotional intensity to sustain a feature film.

Mona Lisa Smile- Unfortunately this was a disappointment to me. A big disappointment. The theme of a traditional all girls college and an unconventional tutor was a really good premise for tension and revelation. It just didn't happen. ANd the way that "Mona Lisa SMile" was shoehorned in so we got why the film was called that was laughable.

Strictly Ballroom- this was entertaining but a trifle disappointing for me.An interesting idea for a story but it was a bit "TV movie"ish.

Lenny- only saw half of this but it looked fairly arty and was probably really riske for the early 70's. An interesting if a little depressing insight into the life of Lenny Bruce (played by Dustin Hoffman)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- my favourite book and best of the three movies by far. Not too long, very dark and a visual treat.

LOST- it took me a while to get into this but I think I'm hooked, although it is flawed. I find the music heavy handed and even after 6 episodes I can see an annoying formula to the structure of it. But I love the characters and the drip feeding of the back story and at the end of the episode I always want more. A good sign. I will stick with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home