STOP THE TRAFFIK

Friday, July 29, 2005

Chapelfield Development

Thinking of how my thoughts are developing after input onto the thread on the NYFC forum:
I am against the new development! In history, grand buildings were usually palaces or cathedrals but the legacy of our age will be huge shopping complexes! What does that say about our society? That we revere and worship God or are the subjects of fortunate individuals? No it means we spend money! SO I'm with Supernova in saying that I'm not going to worship at the temple of consumerism!

But being realistic I have to say I will be curious and venture in there and also be honest to say that I will spend money in shops there because there will be shops I currently go in that will re-open in there (like Boots and H&M). But I will make a conscious effort not to buy meals, snacks or drinks there because I believe there are probably a hundred food establishments that I would rather have my trade than exist in a big mall.

I guess we shall see. In ten years time, the Chapelfield development will be as much of our society as the Castle Mall is now... *sigh!*


and...

I think the centre will give a boost to the economy of the region but it is interesting to think that Norwich is the main shopping centre for a whole county. I'm unsure what facilities King's Lynn has but if it's anything like Dereham it'll only be a glorified market town. I guess the more we build up and develop Norwich, the less likely anywhere else will have a chance to "compete".

I still have issue with consummerism and retail being our main provider of economy but I guess it's a product of our society.

Oh and the roads will cope as the city council are removing more and more parking spaces, hiking up the cost of parking in the city centre and laying on park and ride facilities from all around the edge of the city. It's all part of their grand plan...


As these temples to consuming are built and more and more pilgrims come to worship at the altar, what does this mean for our long term future? What happens as oil reserves start to dry up, as they already are. The 21st equivalent of gold in our temple is plastic and we use it like it's disposable. But eventually it will become precious. How will our temples cope then? How will shops and packaging cope? Will they revert to paper bags or will paper products be in short supply too? We are being asked more and more to recycle (quite rightly) but when will that come into conflict with buying more and more? Will darning socks replace buying new ones and throwing the old ones away? Or will we simply have a box for material scraps to be recycled? And what will they be made into? Rag rugs? Who will buy them?

I see a future where our throw away attitudes will be regarded with shocked appall. And yet our temple is being thrown up with concrete, neon and plastic still hoping to tempt us into worship of throw away goods.

Yes I will visit there, yes I will (probably) shop there but I don't go there to worship and I will be examaining every purchase I make to ensure I don't get caught up in the disposable world.

Questions to ask yourself when you shop:
Do I need this item?
Could I possibly use anything else I currently own?
What is it replacing?
How will I dispose of the old one?
Is it over packaged?
How was this item produced?
What materials did it use?
WHo made it and where?


Let's face it, by the time each question has been answered sufficiently, you don't have much time to purchase anything else!

1 Comments:

At July 29, 2005 10:24 pm, Blogger sparkles said...

but i like having new things ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home