STOP THE TRAFFIK

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A Churchless Faith

This is a topic I have been thinking a lot about over the last few weeks with information gleaned from the Ship of Fools and this http://www.reality.org.nz/articles/33/33-jamieson.html

Why is it that something described as the Bride of Christ (and can I for the life of me find a biblical reference at all to support this phrase?) cause so much pain and despair?

We know that Jesus built his church upon Peter:
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Matthew 16: 18-19

So the Church had solid foundations and we know that the Church will stand victorious in the face of sin. The Church I suppose we can say holds the keys to heaven and has the power to "bind" and "loose"- is this the power to condemn and forgive?

I guess if we gauge the importance of the Church by our biblical references to it then we need to look at what is meant by church.
Jesus says “Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” Matthew 18: 19-21
If we want the presence of Jesus and we believe that God will provide for us and perform miracles, this passage simplifies it down to real basics. It doesn't have to be about worship bands, fancy outreach programmes and powerpoint systems. A group of friends meeting to discuss and offer up the things that are on their hearts is acceptable church to God.

But to limit Church to this simplistic model is maybe selling short the world wide vision that is unveiled by Jesus at the end of Matthew. "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Jesus wasn't interested in hit and run evangelism. He wanted true believers and as faith and relationship are progressive, he would have wanted a support system in place in order that people could continue to grow in their journey of faith. This is why I believe we have evolved these elaborate systems, the things that we would describe as church.

I would like to continue thinking about this theme and when it returns will be looking at :
What would church have looked like in the time of Acts?

3 Comments:

At March 15, 2005 11:21 am, Blogger Laura said...

Cool post.
There are references to the bride of Christ in Revelation 19:7 and ch21, and there's a reference in Isaiah 62:5 about God rejoicing over his people as a bridegroom rejoices over a bride.

 
At March 15, 2005 4:16 pm, Blogger Helsalata said...

Ah! Thanks for that Laura! I wanted to be sure the Revelation ones were the right ones and if you say they are, then that's fine with me! It certainly adds a lot more gravitas to the idea that Church is something that God is passionately concerned about if you think of and use the imagery of the Bride.

 
At March 15, 2005 11:30 pm, Blogger Laura said...

Goodness, don't take my word for it, those are just the references I found in the NIV study Bible concordance!
I think it's a beautiful image... makes me think of the love a guy might feel when he sees his gorgeous bride walking down the aisle and knows she's going to be his :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home