STOP THE TRAFFIK

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Appropriate response...

Have spent a considerable amount of time thinking about and writing a response to a post on the NYFC forum. The point is, should I really be wasting my time and energy? It is in response to someone who (based on previous experience) will not listen, will pick holes in the things I say and will come away having proved that black is white.

At one time, it bothered me. At one time I thought "She's a reasonable, intelligent person, she'll understand my point of view!" How wrong was I!

SO on the one hand, I feel I have an obligation to the forumites to put across their point of view, to stop bullying and make the place run smoother but on the other hand, I just want to leave the situation be. If there's nothing for her to rail against, there isn't an issue. Hitting the balance between inaction and action is the tricky one. And I have to say my obligation the the other forum users concerns me more than anything else. It's just so darned tiring and frustrating.

Just waiting for my lift to arrive for the church meeting. Should be interesting as we are voting (I think about the building plans). It's interesting that today of all days I should do my School Council's training in the King's Centre which is an inner city community church. They have had their buildings completely refurbished to include conference rooms, cafe, gym, reception, etc. I don't see the same focus or energy coming from our church to do (or even look into) something like that. What a positive impact that had on at least 10 non Christians. They were impressed that someone took us in the lift and guided us to the room we were using, they were impressed that the food was of such high quality, they sat and looked at leaflets and were impressed that there was a gym...

More to follow- lift is here! :)

3 Comments:

At March 16, 2005 11:37 pm, Blogger sparkles said...

re: school council meeting.
that attitude of doing the best you can for other people is similar to st mary's last year. They refused to have cheap biscuits, weak squash and poor tea and coffee. They intended to do the best in everything they did. They did proper 3 course meals (optional payment) at Alpha and it was well decent food. Nothing was done in half measures. They had 50 groups using their building regularly. The rooms were decent, and everything possible was done to make life easy for the groups. Payment for hiring was assessed on who it was hiring.

I particularly noticed it at Alpha when people were asking why we were providing such good quality stuff - especially the individually wrapped biscuits rather than just digestives or rich teas. We were able to share with them that we wanted them to have the best, and that they deserved it and what good does having cheap stuff do anyway? Other than save money. If it makes some feel special and like they have worth, then it's worth it!

think i'm rambling now, will go to bed

 
At March 17, 2005 6:55 am, Blogger Helsalata said...

It made the whole thing professional. Nobody at any stage thought that "This is a church trying to cobble something together". We had hired a room and facilities. There was filter coffee, fairtrade teabags, a selection of herbal teas and orange juice on tap. In the room there was a flipchart, jugs of water and glasses and a fan (for the summer I presume). Someone even commented that the room was tidied between sessions.
You are right: it was the best-people expected it. It just so happened that it went beyond that too.
The only grouch some people had was the issue of parking. It being a city centre venue, it had no attached parking and people had to make use of multistory parking (£4 per day). They can claim that back though.
It's made me think...

 
At March 17, 2005 9:28 am, Blogger sparkles said...

"This is a church trying to cobble something together". - that's the phrase I was lookin for - cheers!

The opposite of that is what you want to achieve.

And also - you don't need a flashy building to achieve that. It's an attitude

 

Post a Comment

<< Home